Long Point bandstand on National Register
The Memorial Bandstand of Long Point has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
This bandstand is situated in Long Point Township, which is in the northwestern corner of Livingston County, bordered by LaSalle County to the north and west, Woodford on the southwest and McLean County to the far south. Marshall and Grundy are nearby.
Dedicated in 1919 to the men and women who served their country in times of war and conflict, the bandstand was part of the cultural band movement which instilled local civic pride and encouraged music as entertainment and recreation that provided a commitment to culture and community.
By the time of its founding in 1873, the village of Long Point had a seven-piece and a uniformed 25-piece military band which played weekly concerts. The bandstand symbolizes the identity of Long Point.
The early Pioneer settlement was established as a village in 1873 by one of the founding fathers, Fawcett Plumb. He was the nephew of Col. Ralph Plumb, founding father of Streator. Fawcett Plumb was the secretary of the new railroad line through Long Point – the Chicago, Pekin and Southwestern Railroad.
Long Point is set to celebrate its Sesquicentennial event July 14-16. The public is invited to celebrate with the village. This will mark 150 years since its founding in 1873.