Police say celebrate responsibly
Illinois State Police-District 8 would like to remind all of those who are planning to celebrate New Year’s Eve, to do so responsibly.
If you are planning to drink alcohol during your celebrations, designate a sober driver before going out, and give them the keys. If you are hosting a New Year’s Eve celebration provide your guests with taxi numbers or a ride share service at the beginning of the night.
According to a study conducted by the National Traffic Highway Safety Administration, over the past 5 years, an average of 300 people died in drunk driving crashes the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. For all of those traveling late at night your best defense against a drunk driver is to use your seat belt.
It is the law no matter where you are seated in the vehicle. Illinois State Police District 8 and local law enforcement will be out in force looking for impaired drivers and hope people will make the right decision and not drink and drive.
If you are planning a night out on the town to ring in the New Year, remember the following tips:
· Take advantage of the options for discounted, free and sober rides home.
· Don’t be afraid to take someone’s car keys if they are impaired.
· Do not get into a vehicle with someone who is impaired. Encourage them to call a sober ride.
· Plan for a sober ride home before going out.
· Consume responsibly for a fun but safe New Year’s Eve celebration.